A website is...
“A collection of electronic resources:
- that is made available in a particular domain of the internet, for the communication of information and/or the conduct of business transactions; and
- that share a common domain name, normally belonging to a single or defined group of organisations and having as their virtual location (or Uniform Resource Identifier) a hierarchical (or other) relationship with the main domain content (often referred to as the ‘home page’); and
- providing a body of interlinked information resources that is navigable using browser technology.” (National Archives UK)
Victorian Government agencies almost universally have a web presence, and the rate of delivery of government services online is growing every year.
For Victorian Government agencies, websites provide a platform to:
- publish information about public administration bodies or services
- gather information that public bodies then act on to provide services
- carry out transactions
- offer dynamic and, in some cases, personalised service delivery to clients.
Managing websites as records
Where government websites perform functions, provide services, or contain information that is not replicated offline, they are the primary conduits of business activity.
Agencies are required to create and appropriately maintain records of website activity in accordance with PROV Standards and all other relevant legislative and policy requirements and must:
- Ensure that all staff and management who have a role in the creation, maintenance and functioning of agency websites understand that websites create public records and are therefore bound by a range of legal and recordkeeping requirements.
- Determine what content from websites should be and will be captured as records (incorporating functional assessment and risk analysis) and how often this will occur.
- Ensure appropriate retention of records.
- Ensure that the design or operation of its websites support recordkeeping.
- Select an appropriate technical approach to capturing the web records.