What are VEOs?
Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) requires that in preparation for transfer to PROV, permanent digital records be converted into a long-term format close format Definition Indicates whether the record is physical or digital. called a VERS Encapsulated Object close VERS Encapsulated Object Definition A record which has been encapsulated using XML as outlined in PROS 99/007 Specification 3 and which conforms to the VERS metadata scheme as outlined in PROS 99/007 Specification 2 and which contains documents expressed in a long term digital preservation format. (VEO).
It is also recommended that temporary digital records with long term retention periods be converted to VEOs for long term storage close storage Definition The process involving placement and retention of data and documents for subsequent use. and preservation.
- digital records in an approved long-term preservation format (this includes Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PDFs, image and video files.) See PROS 15/03 S3 Long Term Preservation Formats Specification for further information.
- contextual information (metadata) about the records. See PROS 15/03 S2 Adding Metadata to VEOs Specification for further information.
VEOs are signed using digital certificate technology to ensure integrity.
Victorian Government agencies are not required to purchase a certificate from a service provider. PROV can issue certificates directly to agencies for signing VEOs.
Contact us for further information about obtaining VEO certificates.
Types of VEOs
PROV currently has two supported types of VEOs:
- Version 2 VEOs
- Version 3 VEOs (also known as neoVEOs) which are more flexible than Version 2 VEOs as they allow for multi-level, hierarchical folder structures.
Options for converting digital records to VEOs
You should convert your digital records to:
- Version 2 VEOs if you already have the records in a system close system Definition Information system which captures manages and provides access to records through time. A system may be manual or automated and includes the processes, procedures and business rules required to operate it. with a Version 2 compliant VEO creation module. See VERS compliant products for a list of current approved systems.
- Version 3 VEOs if you do not have the records in a system with a Version 2 compliant VEO creation module and need to create the VEOs manually using PROV’s neoVEO App. PROV will provide the application once agencies commence an approved digital transfer project. See Digital records transfer step-by-step for further information about the transfer process.
Contact us if you require further information about converting your digital records to VEOs.
Last updated: 7 June 2018