You're currently using the new search functionality. If you'd like to use the old search functionality, please click on the slider to the right. You may need to perform a search again if switching between old and Beta versions of the site.
What do I need to know?
Any locations or subjects of interest, and approximate dates relating to what you are researching.
How do I search?
Enter a date range and / or a keyword into the search below.
For a more exact search use inverted commas on your search term, for example, "underground loop" OR "underground rail loop".
About these records
Various Victorian government departments and agencies have been responsible for transport. The records they created as a result of this work documents a rich variety of details about Victoria's built environment, including the neighbourhoods and structures surrounding transport facilities and infrastructure.
Who created these records?
While most of the records that you will find with this search were created by government agencies associated with rail transport and infrastructure, you may also find records that were created by other agencies using this search.
The main agencies that have been associated with rail transport that have created these kinds of records are listed below. Click on the VA number to read more about a particular agency and see a complete list of series that the agency created:
- Public Works Department, 1855-1987 (VA 669)
- Department of Railways I, 1858-1871 (VA 2877)
- Department of Railways and Roads, 1871-1877 (VA 2875)
- Department of Railways 2, 1877-1884 (VA 2965)
- Victorian Railways, 1883-1983 (VA 2876)
- Railways Standing Committee (also known as the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Railways), 1890-1935 (VA 4059)
- Railway Construction Branch, Board of Land and Works, 1892-1965 (VA 690)
- Railways Classification Board, 1919-1948 (VA 4286)
- Royal Commission Appointed to Inquire into and Report upon the Control, Management, Working and Financial Position of the Victorian Railways, 1928-1928 (VA 3121)
- Department of Transport (known as Ministry of Transport 1951 to 1992), 1951-1996 (VA 673)
- Railway Construction Board, 1965-1980 (VA 691)
- Melbourne Underground Rail Loop Authority, 1971-1983 (VA 2987)
- Railway construction and property board, 1980-1983 (VA 615)
- State Transport Authority, 1983-1989 (VA 1038)V/Line Passenger Corporation, 1998-2000 (VA 4863)
- Public Transport Corporation, 1989-2003 (VA 2984)
- Department of Infrastructure, 1996-2008 (VA 3971)
- V/Line Freight Corporation, 1997-1999 (VA 4374)
- Department of Transport II, 2008-2013 (VA 4853)
- Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure, 2013-2014 (VA 5003)
Order the records of interest and view in our Reading Room. Some records are digital records and can be accessed directly online.
What are in these records?
Because this search covers a number of agencies relating to railways and trains in Victoria, the records you will be exploring are of diverse types and purposes. You can expect to find records that are:
- photographs, negatives, slides and transparencies
- plans, diagrams and drawings
- maps and surveys
- indexes to some of the above
There may be some digitised images relating to your search results, to see these at the top of your search resultse select the Digital option in the View Record filter toggle arrows on the left of the screen. You can also use these to explore only results from particular series or created by particular agencies.