You're currently using the new search functionality. If you'd like to use the old search functionality, please click on the slider to the right. You may need to perform a search again if switching between old and Beta versions of the site.
What do I need to know?
- the address of the property
- the town, suburb, region or parish
How do I search?
You will need to browse through the results as streets are grouped in letter ranges e.g. C-H.
About these records
Valuation registers contain a single record of property ownership, value, and improvements or changes over time for individual properties. These registers were kept for land and houses across Victoria from the 1930s to the 1970s.
These registers are separate from the rate records created by each local council as the State Government also recorded property values to calculate land tax.
Once you have ordered a register close register Definition A record in which transactions or activities are logged, usually in chronological or sequential order. you will need to browse the pages to identify the street and property number range.
In some cases the register will have the title volume close volume Definition In PROV’s system, any book of any size, including very large books (e.g. rate books and court registers), hard-cover books, soft-cover books (e.g. exercise books) and loose-leaf folders (e.g. lever-arch, ring and spring binders) are referred to as a volume. and folio close folio Definition Generally, a double-page spread in a volume; may also refer to a single document attached to a file. number. If you want to investigate further, you can view a digital copy of the title in our Reading Rooms. See the page on Certificates of Title for more details about this.
What are in these records?
The registers are organised by location, and may contain:
- house number (metropolitan only)
- dimensions of land (metropolitan land) or acreage (rural land)
- numbers used to identify the land, including the lot and lodged plan number or the Crown Allotment number
- details of improvements on the land, eg: type of building
- capital improved value/unimproved value
- year in which a municipal valuation of the property was adopted
- sale price, date of transfer, whether cash or terms
- a record of the owners of the property
- title volume and folio number