You're currently using the new search functionality. If you'd like to use the old search functionality, please click on the slider to the right. You may need to perform a search again if switching between old and Beta versions of the site.
What do I need to know?
- The year range during which the apprentice was employed
- The name of the employer
- The name of the apprentice
How do I search?
There are two relevant series to search.
VPRS 11538/P1 contains records from between 1929 - 1967 and can be browsed by clicking here. Order records covering surname ranges of interest (note that records covering 1968 - 1976, and some records from 1956 - 1967, are closed under section 9 of the Public Records Act).
VPRS 11758 contains records from between 1976 - 1990 and can be searched by year range using the search box below.
About these records
Contact the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority to apply for a duplicate Certificate of Completion or extract from the register of apprentices (1994 or earlier) or trade papers (from 1995 onwards).
In PROV Reading Rooms you can access records about the development of apprenticeship programs, some of which contain information about individual apprentices, in the Apprentice History Cards and the Apprenticeship and Employer Data Reports.
What are in these records?
The Apprenticeship and Employer Data Reports (VPRS 11758) are summary lists of data about apprentices and their employers. They contain:
- name and registration number of employer
- name and registration number of apprentice
- address and phone number of employer
- period of year apprentice was employed
The records also include ad hoc listings of employers and apprentices, sorted by registration number or trade.
The Apprenticeship History Cards (VPRS 11538) provide summary information about the progress of apprentices during their school training. They contain:
- the apprentice's name, date of birth, and evaluations of progress (such as results for particular subjects, recorded attendance and behavioural evaluations)
- the name and address of the parent or guardian
- the name of the employer
- the apprenticeship and the educational institution/s attended
Tip! As of September 1998 records post 1990 are not in the custody of the Public Record Office Victoria. For records from this period researchers should contact the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority.